It is a requirement of EQ that all Officials, Coaches and sports committee members are to hold a current Blue Card in Queensland.
The purpose of the blue card system is to contribute to the creation of safe and supportive environments for children and young people when receiving services and participating in activities which are essential to their development and wellbeing, such as child care, education, sport, and cultural activities.
The blue card system:
- is a key prevention and monitoring system of people working with children and young people.
- aims to minimise the risks of harm to children and young people receiving services which contribute to their wellbeing and development, and
- is founded on the principle that all children have a fundamental right to be protected from harm.
- the past is risk managed though the initial assessment, which determines a person’s eligibility to work with children, based on known police or disciplinary information
- the present is risk managed through police information of all blue card or exemption card holders, which is continuously monitored so any changes are actioned appropriately, and
- the future is risk managed by service providers, who are required to implement child and youth risk management strategies and review them annually.
All Blue Card Forms and Documents can be found on the Blue Card Website: http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au/
Teachers and Police Officers, are exampt from this process however please note an Application for Exemption still needs to be applied for. Exemption Application information can be found here: http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au/pdf/flowcharts/Apply-for-an-exemption-card.pdf
NOTE: When applying for a Blue Card, if you are not physically able to come into the EQ Office with your original ID documents, then you will need to complete an 'Identification Verification by Prescribed Person' form, along with your Blue card application/renewal. To obtain an 'Identification Verification by Prescribed Person' form please click on the following link: http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au/pdf/forms/PSBA039MAY15-Identification-verification-by-a-prescribed-person.pdf or contact Blue Card Services on 07) 3211 6999 or freecall (within QLD) 1800 113 611.